Sunday 21 June 2009

5 ways i take after my dad


1. Thinking of my childhood memories of my dad, I always see in my mind's eye, him holding a camera. Back then I was more interested in posing in my best dress rather than care about what was going on behind the lens. It was only a few years ago, did he want to buy (yet another) camera, and pass his old digital SLR down to me. From that point on, did I start to share his interest in photography.

2. Even though they immigrated to Canada, my parents weren't big into travelling. As a result, my brother and I never saw much outside of the suburb we grew up in. My dad is happiest at home, as am I. If someone plans a trip, we're pleased to follow (with camera in hand). But left alone, we're quite the homebodies, content as clams.

3. My dad's profession before retirement was as a civil engineer. I had no idea what he did while I was growing up. Only that he wore a suit everyday and carried a hard-shell briefcase. Now I know he was/is a designer, a problem-solver, an idea-man. My dad always had an eye for the beauty in simple lines and quality made goods. A Saarinen Tulip table and chairs still sit in my parents kitchen from ages ago. I hope to own that set one day. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the Bauhaus couch he purchased some 20 years ago that is now in my living room.

4. I used to be bored with yard sales and the such when I was younger. My dad would stroll through them and show me a found object he was clearly excited about. I just didn't get it. Now, my eyes grow huge when a garage sale sign are in my sights. It's probably the rock bottom price tags and the thrill of hidden treasures combined that gets us every time. I recently rummaged my parents basement and discovered a 1970's silk screening kit that my dad bought at one such sale with the thought that someday it might come in handy. It has yet to be used, I think I'll be the first.

5. We love fonts. Especially the handwritten type.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Best post ever. Articulating how we're like our parents the way you have here would probably be a good exercise for us all.

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.