Friday 23 July 2010

a cottage tote


lar



Okay, so I made another pouch. One, very large pouch. Actually, let's just call it a bag.

I've been going up to the cottage fairly often this summer and it's such a production to pack up the bedding each time we go. I had to find plastic bags large enough for the blankets and pillows to fit in. I just want to have a go-to bag that will carry all of the necessities for a good night's sleep and not worry about having to unpack them again upon returning. I bought bed sheets and a blanket specifically for the cottage and now all I needed was something to keep them in.

At Fabricland I found some great summery outdoor fabric and orange twill fabric on sale. It was a bit of a guessing game for the measurements because I didn't really know how large I wanted it to be. I ended up with a 30" zipper and the bag measured approximately 34" x 16" with 8" wide gussets. Oh and I had a doozy of a time with the addition of the handles. It's one thing to know what the finished product should look like. But it took me a while to figure out how the handles actually get on a bag and to hide the ends. You can see the stitching I did on the inside of the bag that holds the ends of the handles in between the outer and inner layer. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Now I can relax when it comes to go up north. Just grab my cottage tote with the beddings and enjoy.

Happy weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

alexandria said...

This is truly awesome! Those colours are so perfect and the bag is beautifully sewn.

t a n y a said...

thanks alexandria! it *only* took me 3 hours to figure out and sew ;)

Annalyn said...

i could use one of this...5 days camping next week and I don't know where to put everything.

t a n y a said...

Annalyn: it's a great size tote. I thought the outdoor fabric might be too heavy but it's not bad.

karyn said...

best massive zippered pouch ever!! it looks amazing!

t a n y a said...

Karyn: It's pretty much all your doing! Thanks again for showing me such a useful new skill.

Nauli said...

Cool weekender! Love the fabric and the shape.

t a n y a said...

thanks Nauli!

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.